It's Hot! A heatwave, and I don't mean the type Martha & The Vandellas spoke about in their hit song from years ago.
This is the serious 100 degree plus days that present a danger to anyone not prepared, or those in situations where it is difficult or impossible to stay cool.
What should we do?
- Check on the elderly or sick in our lives.
- Stay hydrated and limit time outdoors if possible.
- Pull blinds or curtains to keep the sun and its heat out.
- Exercise outdoors only in the very early morning.
- Know the signs of heat exhaustion and heat stroke, and watch for it in others as well as yourself. Here is a link to an excellent chart. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/heat/heat-illness.shtml
- Bring pets inside or make sure they have plenty of water and a shady area to sit in at all times during the day if a breed that is tolerant of heat.
Above all, Pray for and Be Thankful for all those working in jobs that require them to be outside enduring the heat in order to serve us; whether it be the garbage collectors, firefighters, police and emergency personnel, utility workers, road crews, or the lifeguards keeping your children safe at the local pool. Acknowledge them, bring them water or electrolyte type drinks. This goes for the homeless we may encounter, or shelters assisting those in need.
I leave you with this prayer below. Let's all have a blessed, and cooler, rest of the Summer!
Creator of all, thank You for summer!
Thank You for the warmth of the sun
and the increased daylight.
Thank You for the beauty I see all
around me and for the opportunity to
be outside and enjoy Your creation.
Thank You for the increased time I
have to be with my friends and family,
and for the more casual pace of the summer season.
Draw me closer to You this summer.
Teach me how I can pray no matter
where I am or what I am doing.
Warm my soul with the awareness of
Your presence and light my path with
Your Word and Counsel.
As I enjoy Your creation, create in me
a pure heart and a hunger and a thirst for You.
© Author and Source unknown